Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Death Gush: EneMetal Music Inspired by Arsole Fantüme

Recently I came into contact with another FOA ("Fan of Arsole") named Gareth Lower, who once had a band that performed songs inspired by the classic novel "Arsole Fantüme, Gentleman Immoralist." He sent some lyrics for a song he wrote called "Feculent Harvest," which was attached to the following email he graciously agreed to allow me to post here:

Dear Mr. Sprague,

I have recently discoveredf that you've translated Arsole Fantume into english, I wanted to reach out and introduce myself since I had heard of this book long ago and based a heavy metal band off of it's contents, for years my brother and I went through many trial and tribluations (and some bar fights) while trying to keep this band Death Gush alive, I hope that translating and publishing your book about Arsole was easier than trying to sing songs about him and his message, let me tell you, no one wanted to hear it back then. I am hoping that since your book is out now that there will be a new interest in Marcel Maurice and the other guy's work and possibly of Death Gush too.

I've got this old lyric sheet from maybe 1998 and thought I'd send it to you so that you can see that we're on the same page, if you will. This is the unfinished version but the only one I could find, it's a long story.

Let me know what you think.

EneMetal Rawk!

Best, Gareth Lower
I have never heard the term "EneMetal Rawk" before, but I am extremely excited to hear what it's all about! Gareth has promised to send along any audio he finds, and any songs he creates in the future. If these notes "from maybe 1998" are any indication, we're in for some really compelling music.

"I reap the feculent harvest
Tilling the dark night soil..."


I have a feeling Arsole would approve.

UPDATE: Order the novel Arsole Fantüme, Gentleman Immoralist from amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment